I designed a quilt for a baby boy who lives in Canada. I found the perfect plaid flannel, matching border fabric, and plush “Minky” fabric for the back. I was thinking that I was so clever and all that.
I was so excited to put it together – until I started to. I had no idea how heavy this little blankie would turn out being. Yes, I knew the materials being used, and all of them are lightweight. It occurred to me that I was NOT all that. After all.
The quilt is very small but so heavy that all the “holding out of the way” is exhausting me. I cannot wait to ship it off to Canada where it belongs. I am sick of looking at its lumberjack cuteness. And I am really annoyed with how at each step, I am slowed down by either a design flaw or my machine seizes up because something is not balanced, the tension is messed up, or because it wants to.
Tomorrow, I will tackle the final finishing step – hand sewing the binding on the edges. I know quite a few quilters that hate doing the binding. I LOVE doing it because it means the %@*&^! thing is finished.
Well… Today is the tomorrow I spoke of last night. And I have spent hours on the first section of the binding. I made the binding like I always do, and that is why I have the problem I am having now. I should have considered how thick the quilt was! Regardless, it is too late now. I resign myself to many hours of making tiny stitches that are not going to be invisible as they should be.
OK. so the binding is rolled up and hard. A perfect teething ring!
After all the customs declaration paperwork is completed, signed and the little package goes off to the North – I realize that I forgot to take a picture for my custom quilts file.
♥ TTFN ♥