I have had my share of jobs. Nothing I wanted to keep as a career, but I needed the money. I have done fast-food, bookkeeping, alarm monitoring (yawn), receptionist & clerical work. One of my favorite’s was working for an answering service & towing dispatch. I am glad I moved on before technology eliminated it with the cell phone. And yes, I am that old.
I like the kind of work I do now. My position description is: “Senior Computer Support Technologist”. It is a Government job classification, so it does not tell you anything. What I do is provide tech support for my organization, and outside users of our system. I help them with questions/problems, troubleshoot software/hardware issues, do software testing and try to keep up with our documentation. It is a customer support job.
Most people would hate working in customer support. Having a job no one wants is nice. It keeps me from worrying about backstabbing bitches & getting laid off. But enough about my current job.
Top Ten Jobs I Would Leave Mine For:
- Stephen King’s Assistant
- Write a syndicated column for a major newspaper
- Publish my novel(s) and hit the Best Seller’s List
- Work for a Bernese Mountain Dog breeder as a “Puppy Entertainer”
- Join the Blue Collar Comedy Tour
- Stephen King’s Assistant (did I already say that?)
- Professional Sleep Number Bed Tester (think of the naps!)
- Guest appearance on Leverage
- Cast in a movie with Sam Elliot
- Work with the writers for Saturday Night Live
Now this is between you and me – so don’t tell my boss!