I hear it said all the time: “There’s no law against the ignorant”. Well, now there is – sort of.
The Law: ALL parents must have a license to raise children. **
Mandatory Requirements for License:
- Well-rounded Common Sense
- Approval from interviews with State Officials and licensed parents.
- Also interviewed: Parents, Grandparents, siblings, neighbors of applicant(s)
- Applicant(s) must pass a Comprehensive Parent Training Course
- Applicant(s) must pass a State Test based on Parent Training, General Knowledge.
- Applicant(s) must test negative on ALL random drug tests.
The Health and Child Welfare Departments, will oversee State Testing and will also conduct personal interviews of each applicant.
Each State may add requirements, but shall NOT alter any of the mandatory requirements.
This is a Zero Tolerance law.
In the case of parents who already have children – they are interviewed by a Child Protective Service Representative AND a Board Certified Psychologist. Then, if accepted, they need to obtain a license After The Fact (ATF)
In the case of an accidental, or unwanted, pregnancy – the parents have 2 options. Give the baby up for adoption to licensed parents – OR – complete the requirements for licensing before the baby is born.
In the case of a divorce and parent establishes a new relationship, this person must obtain, or already have, a license.
** It is unfortunate that such a law has to be written and enforced because of the alarming rate of abuse from a child’s own family. This law was pushed through the House and the Senate to protect the innocent children in our country.
For More Information: